Most people don’t get a passport until a trip is planned and then they scramble around at the very last minute only to receive it (if they’re lucky) at the last possible minute. Why not get ahead of the curve and simply go into your nearest Public Library and just do it! The process is quick, painless and easy to do. Here are the steps below that will put you on the map and join the rest of the world in flashing your very own passport!!! I guarantee that you will be amazed with the process. Safe travels 🙂
This information for U.S. Passport Applications;
COMPLETE Application form DS-11, but DO NOT SIGN IT until instructed by passport agent.
To obtain a U.S. Passport you will need each of the following four items:
PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP
- A certified birth certificate issued by the Bureau of Vital Statistics (NOT a hospital) with raised /embossed or multicolored seal, both parent’s names, filing date(this is sometimes not available on birth certificates issued in New Jersey ONLY), and signature of registrar. (Minors under 16 must present a birth certificate , even if they have had a previous U.S. passport)
- A previous U.S. passport
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Consular Report of Birth(Issued by U.S. Consulate)
- Certification of Report of Birth Abroad (Issued by U.S. State Dept.)
These must be the original document: ABSOLUTELY NO COPIES ACCEPTED
The following documents are generally acceptable if they readily identify the customer and/or parent*:
- Valid Driver’s license
- Naturalization Certificate
- U.S. passport or valid foreign passport
- Official military ID card
- Government employee ID card
Present one passport photograph taken within the past 6 months. Photo MUST BE 2X2 inches in size (no exceptions). It should be front view with a white or off white plain background. The customer must be the only person in the photo.
Most places will be able to take your picture at the time of application for a small fee (abt. $10)
You will need to make two separate payments one to U.S. Department of State and one to your library. All fees are set by the Department of State and are non refundable. All passport processing facilities charge the same fees.
Passport Book or Card Fee: This fee must be paid by check or money order payable to U.S. Department of State. One check/money order per application form. On bottom of left side of the check/money order, please write applicant’s full name and date of birth.
- Passport Book Fee for Routine Processing (4-6 weeks)
Customers age 16 & over $110
Customers under age 16* $80
- Passport Book Fee for Expedited Processing (3 weeks)
Customers age 16 & over $110+$60+$20.66=$190.66
Customers under age 16* $80+$60+$20.66=$160.66
- Passport Card Fee for Routine Processing (4-6 weeks)
Customers age 16 & over $30
Customers under age 16* $15
- Passport Card Fee for Expedited Processing (3 weeks)
Customers age 16 & over $30+$60=$90
Customers under age 16* $15+60=$75
(Express mail not available for passport cards)
(Not Valid For Air Travel)
Cash, check or money order payable to your library for $25. One fee for each application form. May combine this payment on one check/money order if more than one application.
Payable by cash, check or money order, payable to your library. If accompanied by an application form, add payment to execution fee; if paying for multiple photos/application execution fees, combined total payment on one check or money order.
If expediting your application, fee is $20.66 to U.S. Department of State and $25 to your library.
*All minors must be present. Both parents must execute the application. Minors age 16 and over must execute the application. One parent should accompany minors 16 and 17 unless the minor has a valid driver’s license (not learner’s permit). Please see back of DS-11 for more information.